Current Flag Status: Full-Staff
Who Orders Flag to Half-Staff?
The President can issue flags to fly at half-staff upon the death of an important person as a mark of respect to their memory. Governors are authorized to order US and State flags flown at half-staff. As a mark of respect for former or current state officials who have died, or for a member of the armed forces who died in active duty.
The Flag Code has established that the flag of the United States is to be flown at half-staff on rare occasions, in the following circumstances:
- For thirty days (or a month) after the death of a current or former president or president-elect.
- For ten days after the death of a current or former vice president, current or retired chief justice, or current Speaker of the House of Representatives.
- From the day of death until the interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a secretary of an executive or military department, a former vice president or a former Speaker of the House, the President Pro Tempore of the Senate, or the governor of a state, territory, or possession.
- On the day of death and the day after for a Member of Congress.
What are the standard dates for flying the flag at half-staff?
- Peace Officer Memorial Day
- Memorial Day until Noon
- Patriot Day – 9/11
- National Fallen Firefighters Memorial
- Pearl Harbor Day
Recent Half-Staff Notifications:
Peace Officer Memorial Day – Monday, May 15, 2023 (Nationally)
Allen, TX Shooting – Saturday, May 6, 2023 – Thursday, May 11, 2023 (Nationally)
Fire Fighter Memorial Day – Sunday, May 7, 2023 (Nationally)
Nashville Shooting – Monday, March 27, 2023 – Friday, March 31, 2023 (Nationally)
Monterey Park, CA Shooting – Monday, January 23, 2023 – Thursday, January 26, 2023 (Nationally)
Pearl Harbor Day – Wednesday, December 7, 2022 (Nationally)
Colorado Springs Shooting – Monday, November 21, 2022 – Saturday, November 26, 2022 (Colorado Only)
Hugh McKean – Minority Leader – Thursday, November 10, 2022 (Colorado Only)
Patriot Day – Sunday, September 11, 2022
Queen Elizabeth II – Queen of England: Thursday, September 8, 2022 – Monday, September 19, 2022 (Nationally)
Andrew Peery – El Paso Deputy: Monday, August 15, 2022 (Colorado Only)
Jackie Walorski – Congresswomen: Wednesday, August 3, 2022 – Thursday, August 4, 2022 (Nationally)
Abe Shinzo – Former Prime Minister of Japan: Friday, July 8, 2022 – Sunday, July 10, 2022 (Nationally)
Highland Park, IL Shooting: Tuesday, July 5, 2022 – Saturday July 9, 2022 (Nationally)
Memorial Day – Until Noon: Monday, May 30, 2022 (Nationally)