Current Flag Status: Half-Staff
Who Orders Flag to Half-Staff?
The President can issue flags to flown at half-staff upon the death of a important person as a mark of respect to their memory. Governors are authorized to order US and State flags flown at half-staff. As a mark of respect for former or current state officials who have died, or for a member of the armed forces who has died in active duty.
The Flag Code has established that the flag of the United States is to be flown at half-staff on rare occasions, in the following circumstances:
- For thirty days (or a month) after the death of a current or former president, or president-elect.
- For ten days after the death of a current or former vice president, current or retired chief justice, or current Speaker of the House of Representatives.
- From the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a secretary of an executive or military department, a former vice president or a former Speaker of the House, the President Pro Tempore of the Senate, or the governor of a state, territory, or possession.
- On the day of death and the day after for a Member of Congress.
What are standard dates for flying the flag at half-staff?
- Peace Officer Memorial Day (Unless that day is also Armed Forces Day, like it is this year)
- Memorial Day until Noon
- Patriot Day – 9/11
- National Fallen Firefighters Memorial
- Pearl Harbor Day
Recent Half-Staff Notifications:
Pearl Harbor Day – Tuesday, December 7, 2021 (Nationally)
Robert Joseph Dole – Former Senator: Monday, December 6, 2021 – Thursday, December 9, 2021 (Nationally)
Larry Wyant – Joes Fire Fighter: Friday, November 5, 2021 (Colorado Only)
Darcy Stallings – Yuma Fire Fighter: Tuesday, October 26, 2021 (Colorado Only)
Collin Powell – United States General: Monday, October 18, 2021 – Friday, October 22, 2021 (Nationally)
Natalie Meyer – Former Secretary of State: Monday, October 18, 2021 (Colorado Only)
Peace Officers’ Memorial Service: Saturday, October 16, 2021 (Nationally)
Jeff Billingsley – Denver Fire Department Technician: Thursday, October 30, 2021 (Colorado Only)
National Fallen Firefighters Memorial Day: Sunday, October 3, 2021 (Nationally)
Anthony Palato – South Metro Firefighter & Paramedic: Tuesday, September 21, 2021 (Colorado Only)
Patriot Day National Day of Service & Remembrance: Saturday, September 11, 2021 (Nationally)
Richard Lamm – Former Colorado Governor: Monday, August 30, 2021 – Tuesday, August 31, 2021 (Colorado Only)
Attack in Kabul, Afghanistan: Thursday, August 26, 2021 – Monday, August 30, 2021 (Nationally)
Mike McLachlan – Former Representative: Saturday, August 7, 2021 (Colorado Only)
Gordon Beesley – Arvada Police Officer: Tuesday, June 29, 2021 (Colorado Only)
Memorial Day: Monday, May 31, 2021 until noon (Nationally)