Fun Flag Facts!! With Flag Day just around the corner we figured it was the perfect time to provide flag knowledge. I know some are pretty easy facts to remember, like the symbolism behind the 13 stripes, but it is still a large part of our history and helped to shape what America is today.
- The colors of the American flag have important symbolism: red stands for valor and the sacrifice of solders, white stands for purity and innocence, and blue represents vigilance and justice.
- Flag Day is celebrated on June 14 each year to commemorate the adoption of the American flag. The holiday was established in 1916 by President Woodrow Wilson.
- The 13 stripes on the American flag represent the 13 original colonies, and the 50 stars represent the 50 states.
- The American Flag has many nicknames including 'Old Glory' , ' Stars and Stripes', and 'The Star-Spangled Banner'.
- During the year after the 9/11 Terrorist Attacks, the American flag sales almost tripled.
- Betsy Ross is widely attribute for being the maker of the first American Flag. However, new evidence has lead historians to believe that the first flag should be accredited to a man named Francis Hopkinson.
- During the Apollo Missions, 6 flags were planted on the mood, 5 of which still stand today.