It is important to know half-staff etiquette if you have a flagpole with the American flag flying on it. The President or Governor has issued the flags to half-staff, is it a law to lower them or is it only required on Government buildings?
I know, it is confusing.
When we receive a notice from the President or Governor to lower flags to half-staff my interpretation it that all flags need to be lowered. You will not be legally reprimanded for not lowering the flags but there is a risk of upsetting people in your community or a potential client.
For some our large builder clients who have several flagpoles across the Front Range, it seems that one-day half-staff notification needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis. If the flags are to be lowered to honor a local soldier whose family lives in the community or a national tragedy (Aurora Theater or Connecticut School Shootings), I would recommend lower them.
There are a few dates each year where the flag is to fly at half-staff:
- May 15-Peace Officer Memorial Day
- Last Monday in May-Memorial Day **Fly flag at half-staff until noon then proudly fly your flag at full-staff**
- September 11- Patriots Day
- October TBD- Fallen Firefighters Memorial Day
- December 7- Pearl Harbor Day